What a great year in music 2022 was.
After the pandemic took away the joy of going to gigs, back in August I was able to return to seeing live music and by catching Iggy Pop and joining Squid’s pogo at OFF Festival no less.
But perhaps as important is the fact that in 2022 both halves of long-time heroes Spacemen 3 released albums; Sonic Boom completed his Reset with help of Panda Bear and J. Spaceman dropped the song of the year.
Some of the highlights include…
- The Duster record, considered it gold when it was released and continues to grow on me. Surprised to see there’s still copies available. If you can, grab yours, the post-hiatus-post-pandemic album is bound to become a classic.
- Joining the #FallFriday movement came as no surprise as I’ve been consistently listening to The Fall since they got me through the quarantines of 2020.
- The re-discovery of Rowland S. Howard brilliant solo records Teenage Snuff Film and Pop Crimes that would eventually lead me to his work with Jeffrey Lee Pierce and go down the rabbit hole with The Gun Club.
Last year I set myself the goal of listening to more recently released records and I am so happy with the results I made a top 20.
Favorites Albums of 2022
- Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
- Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
- Duster - Together
- Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - Reset
- Meridian Brothers - Meridian Brothers & El Grupo Renacimiento
- Beach House - Once Twice Melody
- Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow
- King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava
- Viagra Boys - Cave World
- Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork
- Perfume Genius - Ugly Season
- Animal Collective - Time Skiffs
- London Odense Ensemble - Jaiyede Sessions Volume 1
- Aldous Harding - Warm Chris
- caroline - caroline
- black midi - Hellfire
- Hermanos Gutiérrez - El bueno y el malo
- Guided by Voices - Crystal Nuns Cathedral
- Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
- The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention
At the beginning of the year my plan was to produce more content for Tinta en las Cintas and ended up finishing only 1 out of 3 mixtapes I wanted to share. I’m hoping remedying this will keep me busy in January. But before we jump into 2023, here’s the spotify playlist (without old Neil Young) and the 2022 Charts:
Most Played Artists
Most Played Albums
The Days of Wine and Roses
The Dream Syndicate
This Nation’s Saving Grace
Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of the Salons
The Perfect Prescription
The Wonderful And Frightening World Of… The Fall
Talk Talk Talk
The Psychedelic Furs
Teenage Snuff Film
Rowland S. Howard
Waiting for a Miracle
The Comsat Angels